When trying to synchronise your email account with the Windows Mail app, your account credentials are not recognised and you receive the error code 0x80004005.
This issue affects Yahoo email accounts as well as other email providers who deliver Yahoo email services under their own brand.
Below is a list of affected providers, which I'll keep updated as more information emerges.
Yahoo has recently made a change to their security settings, which has affected the way that their service interacts with third-party email apps.
The way to resolve this issue is to create an app-specific password within your Yahoo/AOL email account that will be used exclusively with Windows Mail app in place of your regular email account password.
Here's how to do it.
1) Open Windows Mail
2) On the left, click "Accounts"
3) On the right, select the affected email account
4) Click "Delete account"
5) Confirm that you want to delete the account
6) Open up a web browser tab
7) Go to the login page of your email service provider (see above list of affected providers)
8) Log into your account
9) Go to the "Account Security" page
10) Click "Generate app password"or "Manage app passwords"
11) Select "Other app" from the app list
12) Enter "Windows Mail" as the app name
13) Click the "Generate" button
14) Copy or write down the newly generated password. If you decide to write it down, you must do so exactly as it appears on the screen as the password is case-sensitive and may contain spaces.
15) Click the "Done" button
16) Go back to the Windows Mail app
17) On the left, click "Accounts"
18) On the right, click "Add account"
19) Select "Other account (POP/IMAP)"
20) Fill in your email address, full name, and the app password you generated
21) Click "Sign in"
Your email account should now start synchronising correctly.
Help and Information
For help with this issue or for more information, feel free to reach out to me directly.
Comment and Share
© Copyright Martin Riley T/A Quantum Consultancy Services 2020, all rights reserved